Ingredients for grilled zucchini:
- 2-4 zucchini – cut in half, lengthwise.
- 2 teaspoons of fresh olive oil (a basil flavored blend is recommended).
- Salt and pepper or Creole Seasoning.
- Opcional: 1 tablespoon each of favorite herb – roughly chopped. I used basil, oregano and sage (or 1 tablespoon total of dried herbs – any favorite or herb blend).
- If you are using a charcoal or wood burning outdoor grill then get it going first.
- Slice zucchini in half, lengthwise. Make a few small slices into the flesh – not too deep, just a quarter of an inch or so. This will speed up the cooking and holds in some of the herbs and oil.
- Lightly coat the zucchini halves with oil. You can just spray with oil, or brush on some oil, or even use your fingers and rub on the oil. (For a low-calorie version leave out the oil – the zucchini grills fine and still tastes great).
- Add some salt and pepper to taste.
- Roughly chop fresh herbs and mix together. If you are using dried herbs you can add them one at a time or premix them. Top the zucchini with herbs.
- Now time to grill the zucchini. I have a patio gas grill. I like to use a low/medium heat so it’s easier control the charring. I usually cook the outside of the of the zucchini first for 3-5 minutes until the edges brown.
- Next I turn them over and finish the grilling until the oiled skin starts to brown. It’s up to you how much browning you want. The green skin will brown while the whiter inside just gets grill marks. It’s ready when soft to the touch with tongs or spatula – about 5-8 minutes total, depending how hot the grill is.
- If you have a charcoal grill then keep the zucchini on the edge of the fire for more control. You will have to babysit the veggies to keep them from becoming totally burnt. Ready to eat right off the grill.
Zucchini tastes closest to yellow neck squash. You can cook zucchini well done and mushy, or lightly, leaving a little crunch in. I especially like the extra smokiness you get with grilling.
BAKED ZUCCHINI RECIPE
If you don’t have an outdoor grill, it’s easy enough to do in the oven. Just follow the directions above and finish in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes. You can bake the zucchini a little longer to desired tenderness.
Kick it up a notch with a sprinkling of cheese during the last 5 minutes of baking.
You can leave off the oil for low-cal fare.