Ingredients for Ratatouille or Nightshade Stew:
- Wash and cut the eggplant into cubes. Salt them well and set aside for an hour or so. Slice the mushrooms and zucchini. Set aside.
- Slice the onions and peppers and mince the garlic.
- Put some olive oil in a pan and warm over low heat. Add the garlic, onions and peppers and slowly heat until the onions are transparent.
- Rinse the salted vegetables and place all the vegetables together in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat.
- Pour the vegetables into the pan, add the broth or stock and continue cooking on low heat for about an hour, until they begin to soften.
- Wash and chop the tomatoes. Add them to the other vegetables.
- Stir a bit scraping the bottom of the pan to get all the good bits up.
- Continue cooking another 20 minutes. The mixture will thicken quite a bit as the eggplant absorbs the broth.
- Remove from heat and let sit 10 minutes or so. Serve over hot rice or tossed with a sturdy pasta or egg noodles.